The API Reference is for use when locally hosting your map. Using the API reference you can customize your map features without having to use the Map Edit page.
By default your map is remotely hosted at data.mapchannels.com. You can opt to locally host your map by storing all the Map Channels files required to display the map on your own website.
1. Go to the Map Channel v4 Edit Page for your map, then click on the link labelled '1. Embed'.
2. Click the 'Setup Local Hosting' link.
3. Download and extract the zip file (the zip contains 2 files, an HTML file and a data file).
4. Add the extracted files to your website. It is recommended to keep the files in one folder.
5. Edit the HTML file (with the extension .htm) as required using the API reference below.
6. Add code to your web page(s) where you want to embed the map. Use the original iframe embed code from the Map Edit Page and change the src value, replacing the path to the HTML file with the path on your own website.
7. Upload all the files to your web server, load the web page in your browser and the map should display.
The variables are listed in the same order as on the Edit Page. Further information about the variables is available on the Edit Page.
CSS is set directly in the HTML page either in the style section or via an external CSS file. No mc4_ variables are used for CSS.